Łapsze Niżne - Spisz-Orawa-Podhale, Małopolskie
The Łapsze Niżne Commune is a beautiful, scenic region located on Spisz between the Podhale and the Pieniny. It is situated in the southern part of the Małopolska province in the Nowy Targ district. Municipal boundary is set in the west by the Białka River, in the northeast by the Czorsztyńskie Lake and in the south by the Polish-Slovakian border. The commune includes villages: Frydman, Falsztyn, Niedzica, Niedzica-Zamek (Niedzica-Castle), Kacwin, Łapsze Niżne, Łapsze Wyżne, Trybsz, Łapszanka. It occupies an area of 125 km2.
Spisz is a small region, but having the specificity, uniqueness, diversity being a result of a turbulent history. Within Spisz area we can find interesting historical buildings and rich folk culture. It is a land where for centuries German, Polish and Hungarian influances blended with local elements, creating a rich and peculiar culture. This area is characterized by a different than the rest of the region customs, costumes and the architectural style of rural buildings. In the municipality there are numerous monuments of the highest caliber. The construction of the water tanks complex in the years 1975-1997: the main one – Czorsztyn-Niedzica and compensatory – Sromowce Wyżne, even raised the landscape value and has had an indelible impact on several villages of the Spisz commune. Each village of this region has interesting tourist attractions.
Frydman is one of the oldest villages in Zamagurz, situated in a place where the Białka River falls into the Czorsztyńskie Lake. One of the interesting facts is the village is located below the level of the lake. One should go to see the church of St. Stanislaus, which was built in at the turn of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.
Falsztyn is a small village on the northern slopes of the Pieniny Spiskie, surrounded by rocks covered by lush vegetation, which in the north of the village form a reserve “Zielone Skałki” (the Green Rocks). It is worth visiting the Jungenfelds’ cemetery, located in a small valley. Here for the longest time in Poland – until 1931 the serfdom remained.
Niedzica is a village located in the Niedziczanka River valley at the foot of the Pieniny Spiskie. It is worth seeing the church of St. Bartholomew, which interior is extremely rich in late-Baroque style. In Niedzica there is one of the most beautifully situated castles in Poland – Dunajec, which was funded at the beginning of the fourteenth century by the Hungarian berzewicz family in order to defend the Polish-Hungarian border. Guides in the castle make pleasant the tourists’ time telling the legend of Janosik, Brunhild and stories about the Princess of the Incas – Umina, who in the second half of the eighteenth century was stabbed in the lower courtyard of the castle in Niedzica. Another attraction is the view from the upper terrace stretching of the Pieniny, Lake Czorsztyńskie, the nearby dam and the ruins of a castle in Czorsztyn. The fastest grows here tourist base with hotels, guest houses, restaurants. In Niedzica there is round-the-clock border Poland- Slovakia. To the tourists’ disposal there are ski, mountain bikes and kayaks rentals, guarded swimming pool and beach.
Kacwin is the border village situated on the Kacwiński Creek, which flows out of Slovakia. There are many historic buildings, characteristic for the architecture of Spisz, including sypańce (constructions made of wood and coated with clay) and a picturesque waterfall. Tourists can use the ski lift. There is also the border crossing at MRG. You can also visit the church of All Saints.
Łapsze Niżne is located between the Branicki-Hombark range and the Magura. The first unofficial notices are dated back to 1274, when it had to be here a parish founded by the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. Proof of this is a double cross, which now is situated atop the church of St. Kwiryn of 1300. Hence comes the blessed Fr. Joseph Stanek, who was killed in the Warsaw Uprising.
Łapsze Wyżne i situated in the central part of the Polish Spisz. The first mention of the village dates back to 1463. In the fifteenth and sixteenth century there arrived here Walachian shepherds called Rusyns, who have not settled on any longer. In 1760 the church of Sts. Peter and Paul was built. It is the most extraordinary example of the Rococo style in the Polish Spisz.
Łapszanka is one of the smallest villages. It is worth visiting because of its location in a narrow, deep valley, which bottom is a creek with about 30 cascades. From here you can travel further in towards Bukowina. On the pass there is a chapel of 1928. Sitting next to it you can rest and enjoy one of the most beautiful panoramas of the Tatras. The tourist border crossing is open.
Trybsz can boast the church of St. Elizabeth of Hungary built in 1567. The agritourism dynamically develops here.
In the Spisz municipality Łapsze Niżne we can see three types of regional dresses: Jurgów, Trybsz and Kacwin. Each of the varieties, although is the Spisz one, differs from the neighboring one. These elements are carefully cultivated. It is the best evidenced by numerous organizations, folklore groups, cultural events and awareness of the inhabitants. They characterize so strongly people in each soletstvo and affect tourists, that with time they became a very important tourist product.
- The Route of the Wooden Architecture spreads throughout the entire southern Poland.
- The Route of the Gothic Architecture is an international trail: Nowy Targ – Kieżmark - Nowy Targ – a length of 282 km, and its main elements are the Gothic churches.
- The Dunajec Castle in Niedzica of the fourteenth century
- The castle built by the Horvaths in the sixteenth century, and two-storey cellars once used to store wine in Frydman
- The church of St. Stanislaus Bishop of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries in Frydman
- The church of St. Bartholomew of the fifteenth century in Niedzica
- The church of All Saints of 1400 in Kacwin
- The church of Sts. Peter and Paul of 1760 in Łapsze Wyżne
- The oldest panorama of the Tatras preserved on the ceiling in the church of St. Elizabeth of Hungary of 1567 in Trybsz
|Municipal Office in Łapsze Niżne
ul. Jana Pawła II 20
34-442 Łapsze Niżne
tel. +48 18 265 93 10, fax +48 18 265 93 15